Wednesday, September 12, 2007

out of the mud

After a month filled with becoming an ordained minister, getting married, packing in New York, driving cross-country with my beloved, our dog and cat, and unpacking in Oakland, I'm finally finding some sort of rhythm and a semblance of practice again.

During that month, there was hardly an asana in sight. At first it was difficult but as the days fell away, so did the attachment. Most days if I could find a moment at my alter, I was happy. If I could throw in a squat or a headstand, even better. The letting go... tremendous.

I gave myself over to the situation (which was all good) and simply made time for some quiet. I began nibbling at The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna and the Narada Bhakti Sutras. The absence of asana gave me the space to expand my heart and the non-linear portion of my brain.

That all being said, now that my home sanctuary is set up I'm happily rolling out my mat again every day. The great gift on the other side of a month like the last one is the fact that the quiet I created is still part of my daily journey. Along with my mantras - Ganesh, Hanuman, Shiva, Kali, Gayatri, yamas and niyamas - pranayama, asana and meditation, I'm still spending time with Sri Ramakrishna and chanting from the Bhakti sutras every day. My daily practice actually feels like it has expanded from the hiatus from asana. Oh the letting go.

Who knows what the life of a yogi in (sometimes sunny) California will be. The SF Laughing Lotus blossoms on October 5, and I'm sure being back at teaching in a new city is going to inject something new and exciting into my practice. Only time...

Jai!

No comments: