Sunday, August 29, 2010

unexpected detour

The greatest part of having a personal practice is the fact that sometimes I end up someplace I didn't plan to explore. In my efforts to embrace dwipadarajakapotasana I experienced some challenges contracting my hamstrings while moving into a deep back-bend. As a result I started practicing Hanumanasana more often, figuring it would change my relationship to my hamstrings and to my psoas. And that's exactly what happened.

After years of believing the yoga block would be a necessary part of this pose, I'm down to using a piece of shoulderstand foam to support my front sitting-bone. That has been its own reward but the bigger surprise happened as I practiced ekapadarajakapotasana this week.

Like Hanuman, King Pigeon is a happy pose but only with a prop; the strap has been my way to feel the fullness of this pose. After taking new steps with the Pose of the Monkey God I've been able to reach around with only my hand, nab my foot and bring it to my head on both sides in King Pigeon. Very unexpected.

To top it all off, both of these "break throughs" seem to have a very positive effect on my drop-backs to Urdvha Dhanurasana. The extra psoas and thoracic space are allowing me to ground my heels and move with control rather than momentum. It makes the experience more exhilarating and less harrowing.

Will I keep working toward dwipadarajakapotasana? I suppose. Or maybe I'll just keep practicing and allow it to show up when it's ready. I have the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why you're my teacher, Keith. I am back from Malaysia & creating a schedule that includes being in your SF class every week.

Please keep shining. You're effulgent light & I love you to bits.